Skip to main content

Reply to "Heres to You Mr High School Baseball Watcher!"

Got stuck next to a guy who was complaining his kid, a Junior, was not playing or pitching.  When there was a pitching change and again his kid did not go in he started up,  ...."and who was this skinny, weak armed lefty sophmore on the mound?"  "I mean look at this kid.  He can't be more than 14.  His mechanics are all screwy and he can't be throwing harder than 75 or 76....geez. Im so sick of this coach playing favorites.  My boy is sitting 86 and he is on the bench!! Such a stupid SOB this coach.....which kid is yours?"  Me: "My son is the scrawny young weak armed kid on the mound.  You know, the one playing."  Him: "You should have said something." Me: "No need.  I am here to support the whole team....even the flame throwers on the bench."

The reality is, his kid did have some skills as a fielder, but, he was carrying a D average, got suspended for fighting and was topping out about 75 or so on the  mound.  

We all struggle to keep out perspective with our own kids sometimes, but, the level of delusion with some is amazing.  

By the time my kid was a Junior I had changed how I "cheered" at games.  I just usually stood down either base line, kind of by myself.  I got away from the endless chatter and complaining.  The coaches generally sucked, the high school team sucked, the program sucked ect....it was all true, but, I got tired of hearing it.  I would clap for a nice play on either side.  I would not cheer louder really if my kid got a hit, I expected him to get a single.  A little flair over the SS head for a single....its not a 500 foot HR off of a great pitcher.  

Last edited by Leftside