Skip to main content

Reply to "Heres to You Mr High School Baseball Watcher!"

DBAT-DFW posted:

Hi everyone.  I've been lurking on here as a guest for some time now.  Finally signed up and having a go with my first post.

i read the whole thread here.  Good stuff.  

I didn't see anyone mention "Mr. superstitious guy"

This is is the guy that insists on weaing the same shirt, pants, hat, socks etc. to every game lest he anger the baseball Gods...no matter how dingy or grungy.  Mr. Superstitious guy usually attempts to bring other parents (and occasionally even coaches and players) into this quickly spiraling-out-of-control situation.  He seeks out dad A to always sit or stand to to his right and dad B to the left.  The pre-game ritual is as planned out as pro wrestling match, and the 7th inning stretch is an Army General's dream of precision.  Again, all to appease the baseball Gods (always in the plural, as opposed to singular).

And this is why I love this game.  in the end it's really all about the people, regardless if the people are players, coaches, or just really superstitious fans.

I'm sort of guilty of this.  There were one or two shirts I always wore to my son's HS games.  Even had a tattered hat with the HS logo that I always wore.   I did have my "spot" where I stood to watch the game, but I refrained from dragging other parents into wearing the same clothing, etc.