Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting kid pitch diificulty"

hudslefty posted:

My son is right handed and bats lefty. He used to hit from both sides but clearly prefers lefty to the point where during machine pitch last year he hit strictly lefty with a lot of contact and success. He just turned nine and is in kid pitch for the first time. It is still beginning of season (so no panic) but is struggling making contact. Strikeouts are adding up (I know this is common). Between inconsistent pitching and walks and a lot of foul tips putting him in hole a lot. I tell him him just to stay aggressive and try to swing at good pitches. He hits my pitches at batting practice well. We have worked on keeping hands and weight back on the slower pitches, and getting into hitting position early on the faster ten year olds with some success. Still hits a lot of pulled fouls, putting him into bad counts.

Any suggestions aside from patience and practice? 

First year of Kid pitch is exciting...and brutal at the same time.  

"Any suggestions aside from patience and practice?"

Not really. Just keep getting more reps -- off a tee, soft toss, wiffle  balls in the yard -- whatever is available. Anything that tracks pitches. Reps, reps, reps for as long as he's interested.