Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting kid pitch diificulty"

Thank you to everyone for the abundance of replies. There are some great suggestions, and I found humor in the sarcasm.

To be clear- I am not one of those dads thinking his son is going to the bigs. I have refrained from year round baseball at this time-but he is interested in it as he sees some of his teamates ability that do that. I keep it fun (most of the time)  and My son does a variety of sports besides baseball like Water Polo, surfing, soccer, Jr. Lifeguards- that I only spectate. I do coach his baseball team (and his younger brothers) for a few years now, but like to ask questions on this forum as someone with a lot less knowledge of baseball and see the results.

He has a particular knack and liking for baseball mentally and physically as he grows into his mighty 62 pound frame. He spends a lot of time doing it so I am seeking optimal ways to have fun and get him to improve. Every answer was helpful and I see some suggestions I can use for him and the rest of kids I coach, that I have not tried.

Again he is 9. I exposed him to hitting from both sides at an early age. He clearly prefers to hit lefty (he is right handed-throws right). It's worked for now. He is actually a little resistant to hitting righty. I like the fun whiffle ideas to incorporate right handed hitting, improve left hitting,  and be able to practice with younger son (different ability level-T-Ball) at same time.

I never discuss hitting technique with him other than asking him to try different things when I think they may help. He has no idea I keep track of his results, and have wife record some at bats from stands. We only discuss his hits and defensive gems after games-over a meal and a treat (Beer for dad). I was not panicking after the slow start and undersatnd the reality of adjusting to wonky kid pitch and umpire strike zones that are inconsistent. Every kid on team is having the same problem.We practice understanding of strike zone, pitch count, bunting, and with two strikes- if you can hit it-swing.

He is very competetive and just started a little slow. He is a catcher and infielder on a good team with almost every kid a year older than him and bats in the 2 hole. I am holding back learning to pitch until overall coordination comes together. Might just leave him as a catcher.-He loves catching-keeps him involved in game.

He started the season (3 games and some scrimmage-very small sample) hitting 2/13 with some hard ground outs, a line out, but 7 K's. He will come around. He is hitting a lot foul balls and tips putting him in the hole. I preach agressiveness with two strikes-cause the umpires have wide zones to move game along.

Thanks to all for the abundance of suggestion. I always get some decent feedback and humor from responses on this site and will continue to ask questions for coaching purposes.