Skip to main content

Reply to "Hitting kid pitch diificulty"

Kevin A posted:

Good luck.  Dont let anyone brow beat you for asking questions!  As long as you AND he are having fun!  Glad to hear that he is a catcher in the making!  We are a catching household here ourselves!  Anything I can do feel free to send me a message!  My son went from third to behind the plate when he was 8!  Never left it.  And I agree! He has ADD and being behind the plate was a way to keep him involved.  He LOVES it.  Takes a special kid to get back their and receive the ball.  To take a foul tip, block a ball with your forearms or ball off the chest, shake it off and then ask for more?  You have to be special!

Thanks for this reply a while back. Great to hear about your son's success. My 7 year old has special needs as well and I'm hoping he develops an interest in baseball.

Yeah- my 9 year old son loves to catch!! So much he has little interest in pitching. just wants to catch. Made his all-star team as starting catcher batted 3 hole. It was great, and his hitting took off. Yes, it does take a special kid to get behind the plate. Most want nothing to do with it after a foul tip off the body. But he digs right back in.

One question- I am trying to improve his throwing a baseball. He plays water polo (in that sport you throw all different types of ways). It confuses him when he throws a baseball. I noticed at the end of last year he was shot-putting the ball almost. The throws were accurate but need to be stronger. He needs to get his arm back and use his body more to throw. Any sugestions?