Skip to main content

Reply to "Holding the bat, with hands apart?"

Another major league player that hit with his hands apart was Roger Maris. Maris dismisses the fact that a hands apart grip robs you of power. 61 in 61 was pretty damn good! I was a First Team All American in college. I also gripped the bat with my hands apart. I started doing it when I was 18. I used it in college, and continued to do so the rest of my career. Wood bats or Aluminum, it didn’t matter. I can only share why I did it, and how it worked for me. I weighed 178 pounds and swung a 35”-33 ounce  Aluminum bat, my junior and senior year in college. Same with wood. Aluminum bats back then were heavy and not very balanced. This was in 1976. There were no Easton Big Barrel Bats yet. I worked very hard at strengthening my hands, forearms, triceps, shoulders, etc. The number one thing, a hands apart grip did for me, was keep me Palm Up-Palm down throughtout my swing. Top hand palm up, bottom hand palm down.  I was able to keep the barrel through the contact area a long time. It’s commonly called   “ Staying thru the ball”, and all good hitters do that. Eventually the top hand rolls over in following through, but it was well after contact. I was not a top hand release guy.  Prior to going to that grip, I was too top hand dominate. I rolled my top hand over too often. It also allowed me to have very good bat control, and bat speed. I hit for average, I used the whole field, and I hit for power. I didn’t strike out much, and I didn’t walk much. Simply put, I didn’t get cheated! My goal was to hit the ball hard somewhere. That grip allowed me to do that with pretty good consistency. I just felt my hands worked better about an inch or so apart. I felt stronger with my hands that way. I swung a 48 ounce lead bat in practice. Not BP, but dry swings and during soft toss Id use it. So again, I can only speak for myself. I got very good results with my hands apart. I don’t know why Manny Ramirez or Maris used it, but it worked for them as well. It’s pretty much what’s comfortable and what works for individual hitters. Hope this helped. Good luck!!