Skip to main content

Reply to "Hot Stove League Thread"

BOF posted:

TPM, to be realistic...

Jeter buys the Marlins, at an inflated price, mostly with someone else's money and heavy debt, guts the front office of long time employees in what would be considered unprofessional manner, gets rid of a generational player in a disjointed poorly managed process (purely for cash reasons) and for lower level prospects who have little chance to contribute in the near term, and is running a team that has had lackluster fan support over the years. The best run teams now bring in smart people to manage them, which the Marlins don't seem to be doing. In addition, former baseball players are not known to be mental giants and have traditionally failed miserably running a complex baseball franchise and your excited? 

I think Jeter was a great player and classy representative of a storied franchise, but his start at running a team is not going so well right now. On the positive side it can't get any worse....

Just say'in.

PS: Oh and the Gordon trade for mostly cash reason, so they have saved $300M, I might be wrong, maybe it can get worse....

Edited for clarity...

"Jeter pays $3M for a 4% stake in a $1.2B purchase of an MLB franchise that is in the worst financial shape of all franchises.  The franchise also had one of the worst contracts ever offered to an MLB player with player option and a full no trade clause.  Said player has played more than 125 games twice in eight years.  Jeter dumps old culture in one sweep by getting rid of the current good ole boys network."

Jeter was overrated as a player.  Without being in NY, he's just another Craig Biggio.  (The two are separated in career WAR by 5 wins.  And I'm kidding, Jeter was great.  Just not a god.)

I've been looking for a National League team.  The Phillies were the front runner, may have to look at the Marlins now.