Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Baseball Pre-season Parent Meetings"

Sometimes I just think you're all so unaware of the real world around you.

If every high school athlete in the US was kicked off their team for drinking, we wouldn't have enough kids for teams.  

No doubt if a kid comes to practice hungover or misses because he's drunk or something, punish him.  Or if he gets busted at a party, then their should be some consequences. 

I just don't think it's your job as a coach to go out of your way to look for kids drinking and punish them...

Approaches like "1 drink of alcohol and you're kicked off the team" just don't work with kids.  I promise you that. Maybe for your individual kid and that's fine, but not for a whole group.  It honestly just makes things worse as they just become sneakier and almost want to break the rule more...

Just set clear expectations and make sure their social life in no way impacts their baseball time.  As long as that happens, it's not really your business what they do on the weekend nights. 

College freshmen are 18-19, not old enough to legally drink... are they kicked off the team the first time they get caught be campus safety?

No.  They run the stadium or get suspended a game or 2 and move on and hopefully learn their lessons. 

But if a coach had a policy in college where any player who consumed alcohol would be kicked off the team, the team would rebel.