Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Baseball Pre-season Parent Meetings"

One of the main things I remember from my son's parent-coach meeting freshman year is the coach stressed flexibility.  He went to a school in Chicago that is in a conference that stretches 80 miles north and south and maybe 60 miles east-west with the city of Chicago in the middle.

Flexibility of scheduling - trying to get in 25-30 games in 9 weeks beginning March 15 means you need to be ready to play every single day.  You might arrive at school and find out you have a game at 4:30 pm at a school 20 miles away.  You may end up playing 6 days in a row or not playing for 10 days due to the weather.  You might get 25 games in but only half will be the originally scheduled game.  If they can get an opponent, a field and umpires they will play.

Flexibility at positions - Everybody is baseball player.  Where you end up playing most likely will not be your preferred position.  Everybody is in the same boat. (My son ended up playing every position except catcher freshman year)

Flexibility in the batting order - in the beginning of the season playing time will be somewhat even until we see the boys play more outside.

Parent flexibility - Kids come to this school from 165 zip codes and 3 states.  Help each other out with rides and letting kids who live far away stay at other kids houses who live closer.

Flexibility - the key to many things in life.