Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Baseball Pre-season Parent Meetings"

cabbagedad posted:

I think most parents want to know...

Who is my kid spending three hours a day with?  What are their qualifications?  What are their rules and guidelines?  What will they be teaching my son, baseball and otherwise?

What is my son responsible for?

What am I responsible for?  How much will it cost?

What volunteering are you going to hit me up for?

What is the schedule?  What do we do about things that come up that conflict?

If questions come up, what is proper protocol?

(for some...) My kid takes lessons/goes to trainer... should we continue during season?

(for some...) My kid has aspirations to play in college.  What is your role in this pursuit?

What names are we aloud to call the umpires? 

Not to single you out Cabbage (although I'd love your perspective), but this is the second time this issue has been raised in this thread so I thought I'd comment.  I understand why a coach would ask players not to take outside instruction during the season (one voice, one method, etc), BUT... HS season is only 4-5 months out of the year, and the summer recruiting season starts up right after HS season ends.  Do I think it's best if my kid is asked to make  changes to his swing that conflict with how he's trained all year long, and then have to go and showcase a few weeks after the season ends?  Not really.  In the end the player is responsible for his performance on the field  and his recruiting activities, and if a coach (any coach) can help I'm all for it, but to mandate that only the HS coach can have input seems unreasonable to me.  I mean, the HS coach isn't going to be there at Lake Point or Jupiter or the myriad college visits, so should he really be taking this position when he isn't owning the ultimate responsibility for the outcome (college scholarship or draft)?  I'm sure this may come across as selfish, and maybe it is, but I look at HS ball as a means to an end, a step in the process, an awesome experience for my kid, but not as the end itself.  In case you are wondering, my kid has an awesome coach who is talented and provides really good insight and will offer advice, but he also knows my kid takes private lessons year round.  He also takes the view that if my son expects to play he better hit, no excuses.  This seems like a more reasonable position to take and helps the player learn how to take responsibility for his own development.