Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Baseball Pre-season Parent Meetings"

CaCO3Girl posted:

I'll chime in as well since my son's school doesn't allow lessons during the season and is very very adamant about it.  He went into detail in the parent meeting about it.  He basically said:

"We will be practicing with your boys 5-6 days a week.  We know how much they are throwing, we do not want additional throwing, not even long toss, out of our view.  We work them hard, and often, no other training is needed.  Also, while I realize some of you have instructors you like I'd be willing to bet money some of you have instructors that are not teaching valuable things.  So then your kid comes into the cage, my hitting coach tries to tell them to do it this way, your kid says my instructor doesn't like it that way.  This causes a rift in the team dynamic.  All of my coaches trust and believe in what we are doing, and have your kids best interest at heart, but we need them to try things our way.  If after the season they want to revert to their old swing that is fine. In season we have one voice and I'd appreciate it if I didn't have to take up valuable practice time arguing over which way is better, so please for these 3-4 months can we do without lessons?"

My son has said they are open to talking about what works best for each kid.  He has tight hips, he is allowed to swing differently than a kid that has super loose hits.  They aren't trying to say there is only one way for these 40+ kids to swing, they just don't want to fight for space in the kids head on how to swing properly.  With 3 games a week, and multiple practice days a week, they also don't want a kid pitching any more than that.  They have lowered the state pitch count for the JV team as it is, because they are very concerned with over use.  I don't mind their approach, and neither does my kid.

The problem with that approach is there is no way they are changing a kids swing in a short high school season.  So any talk about new swing old swing is pure BS.  They can make minor adjustments which may or may not help.  Most players are tinkering with their swings on a regular basis.