Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Batting Averages: Is .300 good?"

I have witnessed all levels of high school ball, and usually if the lower levels are weaker at pitchng, they are at hitting as well. Here in Florida, we have 1A (low) up to 6A (high). There are some 1A programs that can play with anyone in the country. Pitching here is not just quality, it is quantity also. Some programs have 3 solid starters, that will move on to big college ball or the draft, then they have 2-3 others who will probably play Juco to D-1 or D-2. During 1 season I witnessed our team place 4 pitchers in Juco, D-2 and D-1. In our 2A district, 5 others went on to D-1, D-2.
As for the hitting, with all that pitching, no team in our district hit below .275. We hit .337.
IMHO, at the high school level, the pitchers will get out 65-70% of the hitters, but the good ones will always shine thru.
We lost a game once 5-4 to the second place team. After checking the stats, only 2 of their players had all 7 hits. One kid, a Fl State starter these days, went 4-4 with 3 bombs and a 2b. He drove in all 5 runs. We had our usual 10 hits from 6 hitters and only pushed across 4. Their 2 hitters are now good college players while our 6 hitters became 3 good college players.
In conclusion, I believe that good high school hitters will always hit high school pitching,(exceptions of course) and those hitters will hit .350 to .550. Those at .300 or less will probably not advance very often.