Skip to main content

Reply to "HS catchers backing up infielder's throws at first base"

My 2017 catcher backs-up all infield throws to 1B when there are no runners on. I'm not sure if he does it if there is a runner only at 1B (I don't think so, but I could be wrong).

As for "busting a gut." I'd say, no, he never full-tilt sprints to 1B. It tends to vary. If it is a slow runner or the runner is not hustling to 1B (it still happens, should not but it does) than he might take it easier. In general I'd say that if my son has fresh legs than he does a slow run/fast jog to 1B. Also, if it is hugely hot and humid and he needs to conserve his energy and legs a bit, he might go a little slower.

The point is to shag a throw that gets by the 1B to prevent the ball from leaving play (not an issue at his HS) and either make a play at 2b, or much more likely--keep the runner from trying to take the extra base. In the hundreds of times my son has done this, I'd say he had to get an errant throw/catch maybe 8-10 times since he started on the big diamond. I'd say the runner stayed put at 1B most of the time but tried to stretch it to 2B 2-3 times. I clearly recall my son throwing out one person who tried and I suppose 1-2 that got to 2B safely.

Last edited by Batty67