Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Umpiring"

Most high school hitters have terrible batting eyes. It is common for a player or parent or coach to act surprised or resentful over a called third strike that might have been a smidgeon off the plate after the first strike was a swing at a ball a foot out of the zone and the batter took the second strike right down the middle. When players vividly demonstrate lack of eye, discipline, and approach early in the count, they might want to consider a little humility when they get rung up.

I believe one of my major areas of growth over the past couple of years is cheering for individual pitches.  I used to cheer for every strike, including those that were right down the pipe and the batter took an awful swing.  I now probably cheer more for well positioned balls than I do for strikes.  I will cheer loudly for that valuable first pitch strike and hope the pitcher uses it to his advantage.  I've even gotten to were I cheer on successful balls in the dirt.  I am of the opinion that it is sometimes easier to strike out a good batter than a very poor batter - have seen many times where you just cannot get the poor batter to take the bait.

I have yelled at umpires my fair share, but these days I really try to provide encouragement for them to get it correct next time around.  The last thing I need when 2017 is on the mound is some loud mouthed parent from our team harassing the umpire - I love it when the other team brings theirs.