Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Umpiring"

JohnF posted:

Interesting which part of my response you chose to focus on and which you chose to ignore.  There was certainly a lot of tongue in cheek though - an absurd response for the premise that using technology to call the game for pitches not swung at ostensibly "just" to make the strike zone better.  

Once you start down the path of technology people strive to keep improving it and to keep using for more things (which is what I was trying to illustrate)... Although I do recall one technological change that fell flat on its face - a chip inside a hockey puck so that TV viewers could "see" the puck. Luckily 60" HD televisions came along and fixed that ;-).

In any case, my point part of the joy of baseball is having the human element involved where mistakes are made and decisions are left open for interpretation.

I didn’t ignore any of what you said.

How did you get that my premise for technology calling pitches not swung at was anything more than trying to make the game more consistent for every player everywhere. You’re taking all the bad things that have happened with using technology in sports and using them as an excuse for not using them in baseball to call pitches not swung at. I’m sure you noticed that I was being very specific and not including all kinds of other uses.