Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Umpiring"

Stats4Gnats posted:

JohnF,

It may seem to you that I don’t want to see it in other areas, but you’d be mighty wrong. The reason I’m interested only in calling pitches not swung at right now for MLB, is that the technology is already in place and proven to have no effect on the flow of the game other than to help it.

I know it “goes both ways” but I don’t care! What I want is for the calls to be consistent from game to game and from start to finish.

I’m sure that right now it’s affordable only to professional baseball, but if and when MLB starts using it, the floodgates will open for technology to exploit other venues and it won’t take long for the price to come down to where it’s affordable to other levels as well.

What hasn’t worked consistently? The system in place now has made the game better because it’s made umpires better. But the upper limit of a human being’s ability to call pitches not swung at correctly is a lot lower than a machine’s. Do you realize 1% of the pitches in a ML game is about 25. You talk as though its only one or two pitches. I keep in mind that every pitch changes what takes place after it.

I don’t worry one whit about people going crazy if a “true strike zone” is called! If it changes the game in what’s perceived to be a bad way, the same thing that’s been done for over 100 years will take place. They’ll change the strike zone definition.

I think your math is off a little.  Average number of pitches in a MLB game is 392.  1% of that is not 25!  It is about 4!!!!  That is pretty close to one or two!