Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Umpiring"

Swampboy posted:
coach2709 posted:
JCG posted:

A player in our league was disqualified for play during the final 3 weeks of his senior season because he was ejected from a game for a second time this season, which is apparently a league rule.  So question #1 is -- is that a good rule?  #2  has to due with causes for ejections. I witnessed the player's first ejection and it was well-deserved.  Catcher tagged him hard on a possible dropped 3rd strike. He did not like it, and then he called the catcher an effing f****t after he struck out.  I did not witness his second  ejection, but I heard that it was done by an ump who is known to tell both coaches in the plate meeting that any time he hears a player utter the F word that is cause for ejection.  Apparently he did with this kid, but I don't know the specifics.   If he cursed an opponent again, fine. But if he said the magic word to himself after missing a play or something like that, it seems like a bit much.  This kid is clearly no choirboy but it's a shame to lose his last few weeks of his final season of baseball due a word.

He absolutely deserves to get ejected and and miss the rest of the season.  It is literally in the rules that cuss words are not to be said under NFHS rules (I don't remember the exact wording).  People know (or at least should) these rules and he chose to break it.  He had a choice to control himself or to continue behaving the same way he's always behaved.  

Yes, everyone should know profanity is a no-no in all high school sports.

Even the most argumentative high school coaches know they have to keep it clean.

Suspensions are a matter for higher authority.

(Note: I am subject to momentary bouts of deafness when profanity is the immediate reaction to physical pain or clearly directed inward--as long as it's not too loud. Cup shots always get a pass.)

I'm the same way...and it is analogous to the conversation of the expected strike zone.

We all know that FED states that profanity is an ejection. If I follow the letter of the law, I have to eject anybody who says any profanity. However, I know of no umpire in my area that wouldn't give similar leeway, nor of any coach that would agree that ALL profanity should result in ejection. An umpire that took that rule literally would be having a very quick come-to-Jesus meeting after the second such incident (as there would be mandatory reporting of them.) That's not because we are condoning profanity; we are acknowledging that there are times where ejection is not a suitable remedy for a situation. No one wants to see a kid suspended for a game or four (the second time in my state) because he got hit in the balls.