Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Umpiring"

Re: Profanity.......

As an Umpire, I cannot swear on a ball field....I cannot swear at coaches, players or fans. If I do, I can expect  immediate and  severe consequences. I will be suspended by my chapter, my association and possibly the league I am calling for.  They apply a ZERO tolerance to Umpires.

Couple disclosures....

my comments below do not apply to youth baseball. I don't tolerate profanity from any participant at the youth level.

Personal profane comments directed at Umpires, opposing players or coaches will get you ejected.      

Now for the levels I call, expecting no profanity from the playing participants is not a realistic expectation. Profanity in general conversation nowadays is far more prevalent. So as much of the rulebook relies on Umpire judgment, I handle profanity on a contextual basis.....

Profanity coming out from an injury/pain situation gets a pass.

Inward facing "quiet 'profanity gets a "watch your language"- e.g.: strikes out with bases  loaded, swears but only heard by catcher and me...

Unless directed at me personally, and if  I'm the only one who hears it gets a  "watch your language" ... or I may choose not to hear it.

I have ejected players for profanity, and those that were ejected deserved it. If you direct profanity at Umpires, opposing players or fans expect to go.

In the end, I'm umpiring a baseball game, not a prayer meeting....but there is a link between unchecked profanity and escalating behavior issues on the ball field. I understand it and deal with it.