Skip to main content

Reply to "Hurricane Irma"

Rob T posted:
Bolts-Coach-PR posted:

Day 5 still no power... Not complaining, because I know others have it way, way worse than us... Super frustrating when your next door neighbor has power and asks, "Why you running a generator? You don't have power?" WTF lady? Really??? Every house across the street, on the same block, has power too... FPL had parked a truck next door at like 7pm and we were like maybe tonight...? Then it started to storm, so he took off, can't do linework in the rain and lightning... Caught a break with the rain, cooled the house down to about 80ยบ or so and was able to get around 6 hours of sleep... Thought I put enough gas in the generator at 6:30 am, but it just died and wife is unhappier now than she was before... FU IRMA!!!

Bolts - 

I've got the opposite problem you have - I've got power at home but not here at our facility.  I'm thankful to be able to go home to an air conditioned house, but I'm going on about 60 hours this week in an office that is currently 94 degrees.

We have generator power to run our phones and computers but not enough to run the ac units.  Normally I would try to work from home, except for the fact that I have no internet there.  Perfect internet here, no ac. Perfect ac there, no internet.  It's like a Saturday Night LIve skit or something.

Our company handles last mile logistics for a lot of national shipping companies.  One of the major accounts we service handles product shipments to Home Depot.  Since the days leading up the the storm, we have been getting in dozens of trucks a day full of supplies destined for the stores.  I can look out my office into the warehouse and see pallets full of generators, tarps, nails/screws/bolts, batteries, hand tools, etc.  All of it will be turned around and out our doors within a few hours.

Right now we have probably 100 pallets of boxes of chlorine to use to make water drinkable that we can't get down into the keys because of the road conditions. We're just waiting on the okay to get that stuff moving. There's only one road into the keys, and it's almost impossible to get down there.

I'd really love to shut down for a day and give the staff a break, but every minute we aren't operating is a minute later getting supplies to the stores.

Our owner, lead dispatcher, and myself were all part of the company 25 years ago when Andrew hit. Actually, the 3 of us pretty much were the company back then. So, we've been through this before. Of course we were 25 years younger then...

Thanks brother, I appreciate it. Hope you guys get in order really soon!