Skip to main content

Reply to "Icing in PRE-High School...Really????"

real green posted:
roothog66 posted:
 In high school, almost every pitcher I see does absolutely nothing recovery-related after leaving the mound. 

So what is your recovery plan?  Minus the $600 Macpro

Regarding running.  Can we all agree that increased blood flow increases muscle recovery?  Even if we don't understand why.  Increasing your heart rate increases blood flow, so wouldn't any "light" cardio add to recovery?  Which puts you right back at jogging since most don't have a stationary bike in the dugout.

I thought I had posted a while ago, but it seems to be gone. So, I'll try again. Any increased blood flow that comes from further exercise would be negated by the further muscular damage that occurs with moving body parts. Nothing wrong with running, it just isn't a great recovery vehicle. There are two posts going on this right now, so I'll copy what I posted on the "Recovery Program" thread. What I do with my pitchers includes the MarcPro, but isn't dependent on it:

Here's what I do with my pitchers. Immediately after leaving the mound, they go to the bullpen area and do one set of ten "reverse throws" with a 2 lb. mini-medicine ball (this involves going to one knee and throwing the ball behind you into a wall). This is followed by about five minutes of J-Band work done at a quick pace. Then the two lb ball again for 2 sets of 15 reps doing upward tosses and side lying tosses. The first involves simply standing up and flipping the ball into the air from the waist and catching it on the way down. The second does basically the same while lying on your side. Then he will use the bands again, first grabbing them with two hands in the middle and pulling them apart two sets of 15 reps and then doing basically the same with a diagonal pattern. After that, I use a Body Blade to do three sets in a pitching motion. Then thirty minutes with the Marc Pro attached to elbow and shoulder. 

Often, this has to be adjusted depending on the offensive side of the situation. I like the HC to replace the pitcher in the lineup, if he can. Often, however, if it is a close game and he needs his bat that inning, the recovery may have to wait.