Skip to main content

Reply to ""If you like somebody, sign him" -- Florida Atlantic coach McCormack"

Rick at Informed Athlete posted:

I admit that I may be too cynical based on all of the negative stories that I hear from athletes and families that I consult with, but I'm concerned that if athletes are allowed to sign a National Letter of Intent in their freshman or sophomore year, that it may just lead to more instances of coaches telling recruits after their senior year that the recruit didn't develop as much as they expected, or are concerned that their "minor" injury will become more serious, and will try to convince them to go to JUCO first, or that they are being released from their NLI when it's too late to get another offer elsewhere (apologies for the run-on sentence!!).  

Will be interesting to see how these proposals are received once they are reviewed by NCAA athletic directors and by the student-athlete advisory committees.  

Rick,

There was an article in Baseball America (if I remember correctly) earlier this fall that contemplated an upcoming change to the transfer rules, possibly allowing a one time transfer without sitting a year.  Yet, in all the information I read on the ABCA and discussions there, no one is mentioning this anymore?  Did this idea die on the vine?