Skip to main content

Reply to ""If you like somebody, sign him" -- Florida Atlantic coach McCormack"

Rick at Informed Athlete posted:

PABaseballDad, there is an NCAA Transfer Working Group that has been studying and discussing possible changes to the Division I transfer rules.  There hasn't been an actual proposed rule change so far regarding the "sit out" year for a transfer athlete.

There is, however, a proposed rule change that would allow an athlete to simply notify their coach and school in writing that they are planning to transfer rather than being required to obtain permission before they can contact coaches at other schools.  If approved, this change isn't set to take effect until August 1, so probably won't change anything for Division I athletes looking to transfer at the end of this school year.  

good, I hope they come up with a reasonable solution- would be nice if they at least addressed the kids that are cut before start of the spring.  I just can't fathom why a kid would have to sit out a year, especially a walk on, if he has never accepted any benefit from the school and has never played a game.  boggles the mind.  -- I feel compelled to say that my son has no intention of transferring (just in case someone is reading this and gets the wrong impression!)