Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it now the norm for Coaches to over-recruit knowing they will cut players?"

2019Dad posted:
#1 Assistant Coach posted:

Perhaps to further define a HSBBWeb "unicorn" more clearly, is a kid who is highly focused on the academic component of the recruitment choice.  Gov and Fenway shed light on that aspect, and it is a VITAL component of the choice for a lot of kids.   All too often the "go where you're loved" mantra (I believe) is geared toward who is showing you the best scholarship, best academic money, or whatever.   My son found himself in a position where he was courting high academic D-3s and some reasonably high academic D-1s.  Had offers from several D-1s, one was 50% (athletic and baseball), and another 80% (academic and baseball).  But was still on verge of accepting a very  high academic D-3 with $0 due solely to the quality of education and degree.  

At last minute an offer from a high academic D-1 came in and son took that.  So mine was almost a unicorn, and I would have been thrilled if he was.  BTW, the one D-3 he was on verge of committing to was a California LAC that had a guy drafted in 5th Rd last year.   So I guess he'd be a unicorn too?

As the AD at my son's HS said in a parent meeting about recruiting: 

Just as a side note, nice that you have those. Not sure our AD has anything to do with anyone's recruiting, which is sad.