Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it now the norm for Coaches to over-recruit knowing they will cut players?"

SEC Hopeful posted:
2019Dad posted:
SEC Hopeful posted:
Stats4Gnats posted:

SEC Hopeful posted: … I just think it is silly to say "my kid has D1 talent and is on a D3 roster because he was overlooked." If you are on a D3 roster, you are D3 talent. D1 roster means D1 talent. …

It’s thinking like that which has perpetuated so many myths in the game. What it’s really saying is all schools get a meaningful look at all players, no errors in judgement of talent are ever made, and no players playing at a “lower” level school could possibly play at a higher level let alone have success at that level.

Get real!

All the nay Sayers seem to have kids who "chose D3 over D1"...so where are the posters at who had D3 and D1 offers who chose D1? Haven't heard them yet I don't think because they aren't trying to justify themselves.

You seem to have a hard time believing that there are people who might have a different outlook than you do -- you seem to think that anyone who is not an "SEC hopeful" like you is being disingenuous. You're wrong.

Not being nasty or mean....just saying that the proof is in the pudding. Where are the families on this board who have had both D1 and D3 offer who have chosen D1?

Maybe you are looking for something that is very rare.

Let's say a kid has Power 5 talent, or more broadly speaking, talent enough to attract top 100 schools... this kid will likely get offers and make a decision long before D3s enter the picture.

If the kid has moderate talent (enough to interest D1s ranked 100-300) and not great academics, he's probably going to target lower level D1s.  I don't hear much about low-academic D3s so I don't imagine D3 would be in the mix for this kid.

Let's say the kid has lots of talent and great academics... perhaps he's a candidate for Ivy or Patriot league.  Given the difficulty of getting into these schools the kid will probably also widen his net to include D3s.  This kid has both D1 and D3 options.  In this case he may very well need to choose between D1 and D3, and I think many would opt for Ivy or Patriot D1s over D3.  So this seems to be who you are looking for.

If the kid has moderate talent and strong academics, I don't see him picking a low-level D1 with average-to-low academics over a strong academic D3.  This seems to be where most of the disagreement lies in this thread.