Skip to main content

Reply to "Is it too late for me to become a catcher?"

mjg13x posted:
Consultant posted:

Which is your dominate eye? Do you hit right or left?

Bob

Dominant eye: right.

I also hit right.

Consultant may be on to something.  Maybe practice hitting from the left side.  My son became a switch hitter late in high school, through college, and now milb.

Found this on the internet.  Your dominant eye should be closest to the pitcher:

Extend your hand out in front of you with your thumb up as though you are giving a friend the “thumbs up” or “good job, way to go,” sign. With both eyes open, pick an object about twenty feet away from you and position your thumb so that the end of it covers that object. Now, close your left eye. Did your thumb seem like it moved over to the left? If it did, your left eye is your dominant eye. If nothing happened and your thumb is still covering the object, close your right eye. Did your thumb seem to have jumped over to the right? If so, your right eye is the dominant eye.

Why is all of this important to you? The answer is simple, you want to make use of your dominant eye when you are hitting. Choosing the proper stance to help put that dominant eye to work is important. Ideally, your dominant eye would be the one closest to the pitcher. The left eye for the right handed batter, the right eye for the left handed batter. Unfortunately, most people are just the opposite. Right handed batters generally are right eye dominant and vice-versa.

Having your dominant eye closer to the pitcher contributes to better tracking of the ball to the hitting zone. This is one of the factors that helps explain why switch hitters hit better from one side or the other. Not having this luxury does not mean you can’t be a good  hitter.

Last edited by keewart