Skip to main content

Reply to "Is MLB regular season too long?"

JohnF posted:

So the 162 game season starts in 1961/62 somewhere and in 2017 it's deemed too long?  IMO many other aspects of the "game" could change to make each game shorter - many of which have been debated in this forum. Ask yourself what has really changed perhaps in the last 5-10 years that leads to what we have now - I'm sure we all have our "favorites".  Players are bigger, stronger, faster today. Revenue is "at stake" almost all the time and in many decisions. The thought process of going deep in counts, seeing strikes, OBP, SLG, OPS, etc. all factor in just as much as expanding the width of the zone to see what the umpire will allow today from the other side and taking 45 seconds between each pitch "staring" or "conferencing". Force speed up the game... Make players use their in game brain and reactions. I like the idea of more DH's - perhaps make them 2 7's... Maybe make inter-league all DH's... Nothing will happen if it affects revenue stream as both players and owners like their $$$'s. Revenue stream is why we have 2 WC teams, 3 divisions, 2 DCS' before the LCS, and a WS slated for a specific week which spans 2 weekends.  

When the 162 game season was created the entire post season was the World Series. From the time divisions were created involving another round in the post season in 1969 there has been talk of the season being too long stretching into mid October. Now the season sometimes stretches into November. Now that the money is so big I can see an agreement being possible that cuts back the season and cuts back revenue. What if the wear and tear of the existing long season is shortening careers and earning power? There’s more than one angle to look at finances.

Last edited by RJM