Skip to main content

Reply to "Is MLB regular season too long?"

Nuke83 posted:

Honestly, I'd rather see them shorten games to 7 innings.

That's 324 innings over a 162 game season, so the equivalent of 36 games.

This would shorten EVERY game played in time, which is a problem facing MLB, wouldn't require any adjustment to ticket prices, revenue to teams, TV revenue, etc.  Yes, there would be fewer commercial opportunities during games, but frankly, with the number of play reviews, mound visits, pitching changes, in-game commercials, much like what was used during the world series, can easily offset that.

I'd much rather see games closer to 2.5 hours on a nightly basis, than the same things fewer times.

A much more radical approach, but with the same benefit with more of a win-win result IMHO.

I can live with 7 inning games.   If it works for HS and college, why not the pro's?

Son's JuCo team typically played 3 game series on a weekend.  First game of a DH was 9 innings.   The 2nd game was 7 innings and the third game (on Sunday) would be 9 innings.  There were a few occasions where it was three 7 inning games - usually non-conference.

When he played for a D2 university, the conference games were 4 game series and by conference rule were 7 inning games while the non-conference games were usually 9 inning games though sometimes they were 7 innings.

Even at the college level it was amazing how much longer a 9 inning game was even though it was just 2 additional innings.