Skip to main content

Reply to "Is my son good enough to play College"

jamesb posted:

We are in the Chicago area.  No he has not reached out to a College, mainly because he is not sure if he wants to go to College or a Trade School Apprenticeship (Plumber, Electrical, etc).  My feeling is that if he really wants to play, what is wrong with taking a year off school (gap year), doing an apprenticeship, while still training, lifting weights, getting stronger, faster, and after 1 year IF he decides that the apprenticeship is not for him;  then go try out for a JUCO school's team,  as he is still only 18yrs old, except now bigger and stronger.  

Well, James, in theory that can work.  Here is the first thought that comes to mind for me, though...  college baseball is a serious time commitment and grind.  He has to really want to do it or he ain't gonna make it.  You have to be good enough.  But, even more important, you have to want it enough to be willing to sacrifice.  At this late hour, If he's not sure if he wants to go to college and play baseball or if something else holds a higher priority, it probably ain't gonna happen.

I'm not saying at all that there is anything wrong with that.  If he wants to go down the trade school path, that is awesome.  And, who knows, maybe in a year or two, he will miss it and re-prioritize.  I'm just sayin', many think it can happen that way but it almost never does.  Doesn't really matter about chronological age... once he gets off that playing cycle and into a normal life routine, maybe making a little money with a side job while schooling, it's really tough to get back on.

Here's another question though... our local JC has construction tech and electrical tech degrees and a really good baseball program.  Is that not an option where you are?  Could be best of both worlds unless the shop classes interfere with practice/game schedules, which is entirely possible.

Last edited by cabbagedad