Skip to main content

Reply to "Is my son good enough to play College"

To add to what SD says a bit.  From where I am I could drive half an hour to be on the campus of a former state champion JC, and another hour to be at a school where most starters on the baseball team might not make the roster of the first school.

But even at the first school my impression is that the coach will give every kid who shows up for fall baseball a fair look, regardless of whether or not he was recruited or what he did in high school.  So I think for Juco ball being late to the recruiting game may not be that big of a disadvantage. Coaches are looking for talent and they are pretty good at spotting it quickly.  They are also looking for guys willing to put the work in.  That takes a lot longer to find out, but time is something they have a lot of.

Also, sort of following up on what CabbageDad said, if your son isn't sure he wants to be at college one thing he may consider is what is called a grey shirt year.  Sign up for a couple classes, but not enough to be an eligible player, and spend the rest of his time working, or working out, and ask coach if he can come out for the team in the fall.  If he sees potential, the Coach would then have the option to allow him to work out with the team without losing a year of eligibility, or he could tell your son to go full time in the spring so he can travel with the team.