Skip to main content

Reply to "Is my son good enough to play College"

JamesB.....I don't mean to sound harsh, but it's reality.  If your son "does not want to play in college".....he isn't going to make it on a college baseball team no matter how much you want him to.   My son had talked about college baseball every day since he was 3....it was going to happen, no matter what.  Well, he got to college, found out it was extremely hard juggling classes, baseball, travel, studying, etc, etc, etc and decided after his freshman year that baseball wasn't for him any more.  He was actually about 12 hours from telling the coaches when a family friend/former coach/former D1 player took him out to lunch, had a long conversation with him and convinced him to give it another year.   He did, and he's happy that he did.   I guess my point is, you're either all in....or it's just not gonna happen.  Tebow is possibly proving that you can take time off and come back, but I think it would be awfully tough of ra 17 year old kid to take a year or two off and then come back and play a year or two later.    I know how you feel.  The day my son said he was done, I was crushed....just loved watching the kid play....but in the end it was his decision whether to quit or continue and I let him make it.  I'm glad he stayed, but I'm not sure what I'd be doing with myself all spring/summer if he hadn't.   Good luck to your son whatever he chooses to do.