Skip to main content

Reply to "Is SAT score of 1600 good enough to get in D1 college"

If I may piggyback a question... has anyone had any experience with schools using weighted GPA's to qualify potential students?

Most of the college guidebooks we have been using to identify potential schools for my daughter outline the required GPA and SAT scores needed to be considered for enrollment. Can/should we use her weighted GPA as a data point or the base GPA? She is getting frustrated because she thinks some of the schools she is interested in have too high of a requirement based on her current un-weighted GPA, assuming you have a good SAT score I am wondering if the extra 1.0 or more added to the GPA would warrant consideration.

It sure was a lot easier with to figure out with our oldest that was a baseball player, we found that if they wanted you schools seemed to figure out a way to get you enrolled. I’m not saying you don't need good grades but we found that some of these schools that list minimum requirements as 1400 plus on your SAT for the general population would allow a student athlete to be enrolled with less. In the recruitment process we heard a baseball coach at a camp say (at the same school that requires a 1400 and 4.0) if you can get 1000 or 1100 on your SAT with 3.0 GPA they can get you enrolled.

Parents shouldn’t discount the value of being an athlete as a qualifier or enrollment.
Last edited by jerseydad