Skip to main content

Reply to "Is there any hope?"

4T2 posted:

I've been a lurker for a little while now, finally signed up since it's seems to be time for my 2020 to figure out his baseball future and there is a ton of info here. Having read a lot on here, it would seem that if a kid isn't 6'2" and 200 pounds, throwing 350mph, running a sub-5.0 sixty, showing consistent 4-digit exit velos, at 12 years old...and doesn't come from a family that can drop 6-digits into travel expenses/showcases, and isn't from the sunny areas of the country, then he might as well quit baseball and take up recreational stamp collecting.

Realistically, does a kid with the following attributes have a chance of anything better than bar-league softball?

He's 15 years, 3 months old. 5'11, 205 pounds; Bats left, throws left; outfield velo (best): 82, infield (best) 80; LHP with very good off-speed stuff and good movement on his 75-78mph FB; exit velo (average): 86, (best): 95. Ran a 6.9 sixty, 3.9 home-to-first. (Measurements are the averages from 3 different tryouts and are independent)

Should I start preparing him to have his dreams crushed and heart broken, or is there any hope?

My son's best friend is a 2017 middle infielder.   Just committed to a good d2 program this last Thursday.  He was your prototypical late bloomer   Didn't even start for varsity this past spring.   Although he was a pretty decent player      Played this summer after graduation in a pretty good league and had a great summer season.   Garnered some low level d1 and d2 and juco attention.  And secured a spot at a d2 with some athletic and academic money.    He's 6 foot tall  weights 160 soaking wet.  runs a 7.2    A year ago he was 5-10 150.   So.  I think there's plenty of hope and it's far from too late for your son  !