Skip to main content

Reply to "Is there any hope?"

4T2 posted:

Heading into his sophomore year, he's a tick under a 3.0 student. Like many, the high school scene was a bit overwhelming. He has not yet taken the SAT or ACT. I have made him aware that his grades will be more important than his ability, with respect to college baseball. Ultimately, that responsibility falls on him. ...

Well, when it comes to grades, yes and no ("that responsibility falls on him").  As a HS coach (and parent), I have seen a very wide range of parenting approaches to HS academics.  In most instances, leaving the schoolwork responsibility 100% up to teenagers is a recipe for failure.  It is my observation that constant parental monitoring, clearly stated expectations, making sure the student knows he has access to resources, consequences for falling below agreed upon acceptable levels, etc., are critical.  The student, of course, is  responsible for doing the actual work but parents better be fully engaged.

Just making him aware that his grades are important won't cut it.  I have had too many parents say to me later in a student's HS years... "well, I told him grades are important...  he just didn't listen."   AAAARRRGGGGHHHHHHH !!!!!

Freshman year can be a jolt for many.  How the parent reacts to assure that the kid gets back on path is really crucial at this time as is future diligence.  Just when you think you have them on a good course, you're sure to get thrown a nasty curve.