Skip to main content

Reply to "Is there any hope?"

Dominik85 posted:
RJM posted:

C's get degrees doesn't cut it. College professors hand out B's (3.0) like candy at Halloween. If a student doesn't get 3.3 or better he's not separating himself from the pack.

Do college coaches care about the grades beyond passing exams easily enough to stay eligible? What is the benefit of an A student for the college coach compared to C student as long as he passes the exams?

I'm not saying grades aren't super important, just asking what interest an athletic recruiter has in their student athlete being good at school?

Coaches know that not every kid who plays for them is going pro and they know that if the kids in their programs aren't learning, they will have problems.

First D1 camp my son went to, one of the coaches visited with us afterward. First words were, you can play at the D1 level. Second, what's your GPA? Son told him it was a 3.2 and he said not bad, but if you can get to a 3.5, we will really be able to work with you.

Same coach is now a head coach at a D2 and just offered my son a baseball scholarship. He and his coaching staff meet with every player on the team every other week to talk about their classes, how they are doing, what they are studying. He says it does two things — first, makes it clear if you are going to class and paying attention, and second, helps the kids learn to talk to adults.

His mantra every time we see this coach is that his job is to develop good men, not just good baseball players.

That mantra is one of the reasons this school is still in our mix.