Skip to main content

Reply to "Is there any hope?"

4T2 posted:

Teaching Elder, I can assure you that I am legitimately bewildered by the potential "next steps" in his baseball life, and that although he has been a standout player at every level, I recognize that the world is a huge place with a lot of baseball players in it. Because of these factors, I started researching...and found that there are so many players with almost unbelievable measurables that I started to legitimately wonder if he really even stood a chance of playing beyond high school. Did I use some hyperbole in describing the metrics I felt he was competing against? Absolutely. But given his success so far, and the measurables he has, and comparing them to those others, it seemed to me that he may not stand a chance at the next level. He has always been a very good hitter--took him out of LL after 11U because even at the district tourney, they wouldn't pitch to him. He's played "up" a year in travel ball ever since and has always led the team in just about every offensive category. He's crazy strong. He has always been a very effective pitcher, but not always with the K (velocity an issue?). At the highest-level-competition tournament of which he's been a part (in Mesa, AZ last year), he got the win in the championship game, going 5 innings on 44 pitches, giving up 1 run (2K, 1BB). He induces soft contact, even without overwhelming velocity.

In short, his game performance appears excellent. His measurables, on the other hand, appear pedestrian at best in comparison with the next-level candidates. Because of this shortcoming, I was legitimately wondering: Is there any hope?

His measurables aren't bad. Those crazy measurables you reed about are draft prospects or top level D1 prospects.

Maybe his measurables don't get him to Vanderbilt but D 3 prospects and even weaker conference d1 prospects aren't anywhere close to that.

I'm pretty sure there is some level for him to play if he is performing above average in high school.