Skip to main content

Reply to "Is there any hope?"

Buckeye 2015 posted:
Dominik85 posted:
RJM posted:

C's get degrees doesn't cut it. College professors hand out B's (3.0) like candy at Halloween. If a student doesn't get 3.3 or better he's not separating himself from the pack.

Do college coaches care about the grades beyond passing exams easily enough to stay eligible? What is the benefit of an A student for the college coach compared to C student as long as he passes the exams?

I'm not saying grades aren't super important, just asking what interest an athletic recruiter has in their student athlete being good at school?

If you're talking D1 it's huge.  My son got 25% for baseball and 26% for his HS grades/ACT for a total of 51%.  Leaving out of pocket for Tuiton/Room/Board less than $10K/year.  The coach knew he only had to give us 25% because of the academic money.  If he had wanted my son and couldn't offer the academic money it would have cost him more of his 11.7 baseball schollys or just offer the 25% and risk losing my son (or any kid he wanted for that matter).  Coaches don't necessarily care about HS grades....it's the finance portion of getting kids to their program that makes them care.

This and more.

Coaches want players that will not only stay eligible, show initiative and responsibility, but maintain certain GPA. I do believe a 3.0 or better team average GPA can earn him extra  bonus $$$$ put into their contracts.