Skip to main content

Reply to "Is travel experience necessary for HS ball?"

Boy, you have a lot of opinions to sort through Tenreasy, and a lot of good advice, even if some of it is conflicting.  Keep in mind that we're all influenced by our own kids and their experiences and your kid may or may not be similar.  Also keep in  mind that the primary focus of most of us here is on getting our kids past HS into college or even pro baseball, so that tilts the opinions somewhat.

Overall I think KevinA's take is closest to mine.  And your own original post probably had the best advice of all in it, which is that if your son plays travel you need to make sure his arm is not abused.

The main thing to keep in mind is that  your son is 10.  He needs to continue to have fun in the game, or he'll stop playing.  If he enjoys playing other sports and doing other activities he should.  Unless he's the next Bryce Harper he doesn't need to do nonstop baseball just yet. IMHO 12 or 13 is plenty early for that.  But I do think that even for a Rec team 2 practices a week is BS unless they also have 2 games.  

These days, with so many thousands of kids zipping around playing travel ball, at the 10yo level, much of that is not any better baseball than rec, just much more expensive.  And the vast majority of those kids will be out of the sport within the  next few years.  Some of them will even be very talented, skilled baseball players, who just happen to find other things they want to do more, or just don't want to put in the work required, which becomes more demanding each year that they play.  Your kid will figure it out.