Skip to main content

Reply to "JUCO, the good, the bad, and the ugly"

My son was recruited by several JUCOS. They sell themselves (as least these did) on their ability to get you to a D1 or drafted. One school got the Vanderbilt coach to text my son saying if he decided to go JUCO to let them know, as they would be interested in following him. He was pretty ecstatic!

Eventually opted against JUCO because of the academics. My son has taken a lot of AP and dual credit classes and after going through what he actually could take at a JUCO that would have moved him ahead academically, he had maybe a semester of course work, tops two.

Having said that, the schools we looked at here in Iowa had beautiful facilities, teachers seemed very engaged and enthusiastic and some of them did some of the best recruiting effort of any schools we talked to

Didn't actually go so we can't speak to the baseball side of it, but two points — most JUCOs only provide housing for athletes. One HC told us he thought he was lucky because he wasn't "required to recruit to fill the dorm." So you want to make sure you are recruited to play, not to occupy a bed.

That brings me to the second point. No matter where you go, at what level, you have to do the work. You need to see the team play, watch a practice or a few games and be realistic about what you're getting into. A couple of schools my son looked at he said with confidence — I could go there and play today. A couple of others, he said — if I work hard and know I need to earn it, I can play there.

That's truth no matter how many people show up for practice.