Skip to main content

Reply to "JUCO, the good, the bad, and the ugly"

CACO, I know you wanted to stay away from "I heard of this one kid...", but nevertheless, I feel the need to share some info from a client who just called less than an hour before I saw this thread.

His son was a freshman at a JUCO in the western US.  After arriving at the college this Fall, he was not feeling well and consequently was falling asleep in class and was late to practice, which resulted in him being suspended from the team.  To make a long story short, he was initially diagnosed with strep throat, but a second opinion resulted in a diagnosis of mono.  

While I can't fault the coaches for suspending him from the team as that is their decision, they have never followed up with the athlete or family to show any concern for his well-being, and the college dean refuses to classify his withdrawal from his classes as a "medical withdrawal" which could be helpful to him later on if he needs a waiver to become eligible due to earning zero credit hours this semester.  

Also, regarding D1Catcher's comment, it is very important to know that classes that must be taken and the credits that must be earned to earn the Associates Degree and to meet the NCAA transfer requirements.  Many JUCOs don't know the academic requirements that the athletes must satisfy to be NCAA-eligible as a transfer, and sometimes give misinformation regarding the courses required for the Associates Degree.