Skip to main content

Reply to "JUCO, the good, the bad, and the ugly"

Very few JuCo's have housing on campus.   As Stafford posted, housing is apartment complexes in the area.  If there is trouble, the local law enforcement will be called, not campus security.  Though I do remember the authorities were called to a party that got out of hand during my son's freshman year (actually the first weekend he was there).  The cops ended up calling the baseball coach.   There was a lot of running at the next practice for those involved.   Fortunately, my son wasn't involved.

Facilities can range from HS fields to very good stadiums.   The JuCo my son attended and played ball at was fortunate to use the city stadium which was also used by the local HS and collegiate summer team.

At his JuCo, a vehicle was a necessity as most off campus housing was at least 3-5 miles from the campus and the stadium was another 3-4 miles in a slightly different direction.

The good for him was the athletic department was well run and the baseball team had a good booster club.  This particular JuCo had teams in several sports, M & W soccer, baseball, softball, M & W basketball, M & W volleyball, and golf.  Because of this, this JuCo had more of a big college atmosphere.

Although by NJCAA rules, D1 & D2 JuCo's can offer scholarships, be sure to check with the state.  Some states, such as Virginia, by law do not allow JuCo's to offer athletic scholarships even though NJCAA says they can.

Like the big colleges, the athlete had best come prepared to compete for a roster spot, then starting position every day.   Nothing is a given.  And most important - Keep. The. Grades. Up.  I heard of at least 3-4 athletes who failed to make the spring roster due to bad grades.