Skip to main content

Reply to "JUCO, the good, the bad, and the ugly"

FoxDad posted:

To add to JohnF's post, it can be tough to crack the starting lineup as a freshman.   Like the big schools, if the JuCo has a well run program, every  athlete recruited is a "stud".  And at a JuCo, you have less time to make the starting lineup.

As a freshman, my son was able to make the starting lineup as a DH.  He was the back up to 1B.   He did have a few games at 1B, but for the most part he was the DH for most games as a freshman.  When son went to the first practice, there were 50+ players trying to make the squad.  Spring roster ended up around 35 with 15-20 players self cutting due to grades, injury or disillusionment.  His sophomore year he was the starter at 1B and had a great year - good enough to get an offer from a D2 university.

This may have already been posted, but once the player makes the squad it's a fight to get in the starting lineup and make the travel squad.   At my son's JuCo, the bus only held 25 players plus the 3 coaches and gear so on away games, at least 10 players were staying "home".

I can't speak for other coaches, the coaches my son had at JuCo tended to stick with the same starters (position players) for most of the season unless there were injuries or off field issues.  So in reality, only about 15 (including pitchers) were seeing any decent amount of playing time.  The rest sat the bench for most of the season except for some spot duty.

This is a pretty fair and accurate description of what you can expect at an established JUCO program