Skip to main content

Reply to "JUCO to 4 yr"

Pirate77,

I wouldn't give up trying to promote your son with any opportunity for him to get to the next level. Just because he's not in HS and now at a JC doesn't mean the recruiters are changing their tactics. They will need to fill the holes as they always have. Because of the new regulations (roster size) they may have fewer holes than before. The new transfer rules also means less D1 players jumping from one school to another. NAIA players don't follow NCAA regulations, so its the same as always for these schools. Because of these new NCAA regulations the college recruiters have to be sure of their choices and work even harder to land that special student athlete who can possibly give them an edge over other schools.

Our son was scouted and recruited throughout his JC experience and offers were made, which I think was because he was playing at a higher level. These recruiters will be there to see the talent and look for players to fill the vacancies in their programs. I believe these new rules will also benefit the JC or JUCO players because they are playing at a higher level already with more innings/games and with the caliber of play they can rely on. Letters, videos, showcases, etc. can't hurt so why stop just because he's at a JC? It may only be 2 years at a JC, but the recruiters usually look at HS players they can actually sign, which usually means juniors and seniors.

If your son is getting starts, AB's, innings, etc. then he's already a "proven" position player because the JUCO coach believes he can get the job done and that why he's out there. If this is his first year at his JC, don't be frustrated if he isn't heavily recruited & doesn't transfer to a 4 year after his first year. The transfer rules get tricky with JC transfers and it may require him to have enough credits before he's eligible for transfer. Check with his academic counselors.

Hope this answers your questions!