Skip to main content

Reply to "JUCO to 4 yr"

Pirate,

I agree with RedStormDad.

Briefly, our son was drafted out of H.S., had some looks from some 4-yr. programs, but felt he belonged at JUCO.

That was freshman year. I should mention he signed a letter of intent with a D1 last fall, but at the end of freshman year, told JUCO coach and D1 coach he was going to stay at JUCO.

Because of his LOI, no other colleges were contacting him, but, lo and behold, in mid summer the LOI school ratcheted up the recruiting and he decided to go D1 after all.

Thankfully, we had his NCAA eligibility and FAFSA financial aid stuff filled out, and his grades from freshman year were acceptable at the D1. Otherwise, it would never have worked out.

If this seems off topic, it's because I want to underscore the importance of grades and NCAA Clearinghouse.

Yes, send letters and emails and have him work with his JUCO coach to help him get noticed. But without the academics and red tape of NCAA, he won't be ABLE to transfer when he's invited.

And, by the way, last year at JUCO, I saw lots of kids who hadn't previously been recruited garnering attention from pro scouts and coaches because they were out there hustling. Whenever we got a chance, we praised those good kids out on the field to the coaches and scouts who happened to be sitting near us. (Not that our opinions mattered, but hey! We're all out there trying to support one another's kids!)

Good luck to your boy and let us know how it turns out!