Skip to main content

Reply to "JUCO vs going Strait D1 D2 D3"

We have one of the nation's most competitive JUCO conferences in the country here in AZ.This is a wood bat league, and you'd better be a legit dude to play at many of these schools.
The most common mistake I see made is the assumption that the player will get on the field in these programs. I think many players would be better off finding a good NAIA or D2/D3 program if they are serious about moving on.
If you are a strong student coming out of HS and stand to get academic$....you likely are throwing this away. I've never seen academic $ awarded to JUCO transfers but it could be happening at some schools.
Many players choose the JUCO route due to simple affordability. Many families don't have the ability to pay for a significant portion of the 4 year cost. West coast privae schools alll run in the area of $50,000 per year... a 50% scholly isn't enough for many folks.
I think its also important to realize that when players are signed out of JUCOs to D1 programs, they are typically expected to come in and be impact guys...the players who began in the D1 program as freshman have developed a relationship with the staff, know what they expect and have an upper hand. The time "on the bench" isn't wasted as many have suggested, they have paid their dues.
There's no magic formula or short cut as TR said. Find your fit and go play.