Skip to main content

Reply to "JUCO vs going Strait D1 D2 D3"

My son chose the D1 route out of high school because he,as many players, thought JUCO baseball didn't measure up against D1 baseball and he ended up switching to JUCO for his 2nd year. There were 80+ players at the D1 and most were personally recruited by the head coach. He kept cutting every week until he got down to his 35 and although son was still left after the cuts, it wasn't the program he thought it was when he was recruited. There were 50+ players in the fall at the JUCO and coach did cut players before the spring but many were cut for non baseball related offenses. Many JUCO's are in small towns with not a whole lot to do and some boys get into trouble with too much time on their hands. My son feels that his baseball coaches at the JUCO were great hitting and pitching coaches while spending more time with the players than most D1 coaches. The best kids played and we had at least 7 get D1 offers for next year. JUCO is a great route to consider for baseball and worked out well for my son. He had a great experience at the 2009 National Champion JUCO and is now headed to a big D1 with his associate degree. As with any school, do your homework and I think the only thing you know for certain at any school is that the best players in the coaches eyes will be the players on the field.