Skip to main content

Reply to "JUCO vs going Strait D1 D2 D3"

I agree that people think Juco is a place that inferior students go. Many parents are into status and appearances, and many kids get caught up in that as well.I agree that not all Juco schools over recruit,but at my sons there were 120 kids in the fall. They were not all recruited, and honestly many cut themselves.By the end the coach didn't have to make that many cuts.
After one year at a JC I look back and am so glad my son went there.He has grown up so much and is so much more ready to move on then a year ago.He laearned a lot about himself, and had a good year.
As a parent I have learned that each family must make the best decision for themselves.its the right decision if it is right for your kid, a good fit for your son and your family.My son had friends go to D1 schools, neither played one inning.One loves the school and is so happy with his decision, the other is still considering not going back.
The boy that is happy is at a good private school, understands that his education is important and his parents are paying all of it.We could not do that, and affordability does come nto play at the privates.Many families pay the full tuition at these schools.I have met several this summer.They can afford it, they are very into the education for their sons and do not want thier sons ata JC.
That does not offend me, I understand their position,that is their family and thier choice.We can only do what is best for our own children, doesnt matter what anyone else thinks about it.
That being said,Thrit is correct that you can not assume that becasue its JUCO you will play.There are really good players at Jucos around the country.Getting GE credits that transfer for 300.00 a semester is not bad either.
In the end we all hope our sons have 4 year degrees.No one will know if they went to a Juco when they graduate. Their diploma will say whatever 4 year school they went to.So I wouldnt get offended by people saying our boys are inferior academically. Who cares what people say. My son had very good grades, that wasnt why he went JUco route.
I find that with baseball and acadmics parents always want to compete and compare.who cares.My family made a good decision, sounds like above posters made good decisions, and best of luck.For others who want their kids a t a 4 year out of HS, best of luck to your sons as well.Get the degree one way or another, thats whats important.