Skip to main content

Reply to "Speedster"

RJM posted:

I realize stats aren’t everything. But six at bats freshman year and a .244 BA redshirt soph year with no power and not starting half the games isn’t promising for pro ball. You can’t steal first. When you’re pro material they find you. Tryout camps are a long shot. If a player beats the odds and signs as a free agent he’s typically low A roster filler for a year before being released. He has two years of eligibility left. He should stay in school, get his degree and enjoy the game.

100% agree with RJM.  While he may be considered fast, I would not consider him a speedster.   Sub 6.2 or 6.15 is speedster territory.  Speed is a complimentary tool, to the other tools.   One of my son's high school friends an d travel teammates was a sub 6.15 guy who was recruited to play CF for an ACC team.   He was also followed by a gaggle of MLB scouts at all his high school games   His challenge was not running or catching the ball, it was hitting the ball.  When he got to college, the coach decided to play another guy ahead of him that was not as fast but was hitting .100 points higher.  As  RJM said, you can 't steal first.    He left the program after his sophomore year but stayed at the school to get his degree...smart move.     

I'd  give it everything he's got with his time remaining so he has no regrets.   He's got nothing to lose.   Good luck!