Skip to main content

Reply to "Manfred on pace of the game"

last week during a Red Sox/Rays extra inning-athon... Pedro was on MLB network and they had cut-in to the game and he essentially says, "to just get up there and throw the damn ball" (about the only part I caught too which was funny)... Anyway, the panel in general was also critical of the batters - step out of the box, adjust your gloves, etc. although they said it was OK for certain players, perhaps Big Papi, to do that because they earned that.  They also indicated limiting pitcher visits by the catcher and pitching changes per inning would speed things up a lot.  I dunno - maybe require the manager/coach who takes that slow walk to turn around if he cannot make it there in 5-10 seconds.  If a catcher visits a pitcher, comes back, then don't allow the coach out there afterwards... of course there's always the 'injury' (real or feigned) excuse.

As for sign stealing and fines...  whatever, yawn.  I bet if the pace was faster the opportunity to steal and relay signs in an inning or within a single at bat would be greatly reduced. We have what we have because over time all the shenanigans have been allowed. Once you let one do it and it becomes the norm, then it's hard to undo what is the norm to get that pendulum to swing back the other way.