Skip to main content

Reply to "Marking Launch angles in batting cages?"

cabbagedad posted:

Generally, any such visuals are good.  As with most things, there are pros and cons.  For our HS players, we narrow the scope by lowering the higher end of that launch angle range.  We instruct straight line drives to slightly higher.  With a narrowed scope, when a hitter adjusts to pitches a bit up or down, they are more likely to stay within the desired optimal range.

We use, on occasion, makeshift target lines but I do like the rope in the net.  We have used sections of colored ribbon across the back net only.

One of the "cons" to using the range as you defined - when most young players have a visual that is more "upward" than "level" their mindset usually gravitates toward the most upward angle.  They think "hit it up" instead of "hit a level to slightly elevated line drive".  It can affect set-up and swing plane - they tend to exaggerate with a tilted set up and swing plane that is higher and not ideal for consistent barrel contact.  This can become counter-productive for many young players.  

Of course, player type should also be taken into consideration.   Optimal angle for a small speedster is different than that of a masher with a natural "lift" swing.

A question, Dominik - in the image, are all three rope lines supposed to be part of the launch angle visual?  

I think the very lowest line has no function. however I think that lower of the other lines is about 20 degrees, I would make it a little lower.