Skip to main content

Reply to "Marking Launch angles in batting cages?"

SultanofSwat posted:

dominick, shhhh.  You're giving away the store here, man.

What will happen to those 99% of kids that would have never started their HS team if they suddenly stop hitting those 0 deg shots into the screen (for 50ft max distance)??  And what will happen to those old instructors/coaches/scouts???

boom

I do not think this is a magic pill that makes everyone a high level athlete. you still need to learn proper mechanics, as you can hit up with a bad swing too. 

I just think training should be game specific and since statcast told us that 10-30 degrees is the best training should probably reflect that. 

I don't think you need to try undercutting the ball either. if you swing at plus 15 degrees which I think is around average for good hitters you will hit some balls lower and some balls higher if you square them up.  15 degrees is probably around average (zepp lists trout at 18, altuve at 15, rizzo at 9 and pence at 22). 

15 is also right in the middle of the statcast line drive range of 10-25 so i think that is probably the value players are shooting for. sometimes you get above the ball and sometimes below it.